Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dr. Malavolte

I have a toe nail fungus. I would not tell you this if there were any other way to tell this story. I think I got it from my last pedicure. (Last February). One day in May, I was removing the remnants of the old nail polish and found a strange discoloration on my nailbed. A long narrow, funnel-shaped discoloration where my nail was no longer attached to the nail bed. YUCK!
I was removing the old polish because we were about to go on a look-see trip to Egypt and I wanted to 'look good' all the way down to my toes! Now I could see that the future held a nail-less big toe! ( I tend to go to worse-case-scenario)
I decided that I would not mess around with going to my GP-I would go straight to the top~ a podiatrist. So I get out the phone book and look up a close one. Dr. Malavolte--wait, mala means bad in spanish...oh, wait, I have a bad toe! So off I go to meet Dr. Malavolte---the next day!
He is a friendly doctor and so kind. He examines my toe and we decide to do a culture because the medicine is hard on the body, it requires blood work and it has to be taken a long time before one sees results.
Fast forward 10 weeks to today. I tell Dr. Malavolte we are heading to Egypt and now there is no time to take the medicine because it requires follow up. I mention that it looks like it is healing itself. Dr. Malavolte concurs.
Then an amazing thing happens: he begins to testify of God's love for us, for His plan for us, his preparation of us, and our equipping to do God's work. He spoke of the adversary's attempt to get in God's way through trials and disappointments. He encouraged me to trust God in our journey-that he would show us His purpose for our new adventure.
I have never had this experience with a doctor before. He sent me away, saying I was healing by the power of God. He blessed me. Dr. Malavolte is Dr. Buenavolte in my book!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How wonderful. Who would ever think God could bless us with such a thing as a toe fungus!!! He surely works in mysterious ways. Thanks for sharing (I have a toe fungus too and can't take the meds--they make me sick). So I have to take the polish off and paint this stuff on them, yuck, I'm too vain to start it till after sandal weather is over:)