Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Egypt At Last!

Today is Wednesday, September 16th. I have been awake in Egypt for 4 hours now. I left Tulsa, OK at 10:35 Monday, September 14th and somewhere in between I lost a lot of hours high above the world. It is as though TuesDAY never happened. Somewhere between Monday Tuesday Night I watched two movies, two tv episodes, ate wonderful meals and listened to music. I never slept. :)

Sam met me with roses upon my arrival in
Egypt! We took a fairly calm ride to the staff apartment where another bouquet of flowers-Birds of Paradise greeted me. I think Sam had lots of fun at the flower shop. After a refreshing shower and catching up, we headed out for an evening walk. The sidewalks are about as treacherous as the streets so we picked our way among broken sidewalks and littered gutters in search of a place for dinner. It is still Ramedan here...a day of fasting followed by an evening of dining and family gatherings...so the restaurants were pretty full. We found a Deli that could seat us-my first dinner as a resident of Egypt was a hamburger!!! and it was tasty at that!

One thing to note when walking around after dark...they don't drive with their lights on after dark...it is considered rude to shine lights in another's face...Sam and I decided that taking our flashlights with us would be prudent next time we head out. OR...In Minshall Park, our old neighborhood in Tulsa, there was a man who always walked in the dark...He work a vest like crossing guards wear and a flashing light on a headband. Actually, the headband had several flashing lights! That would be a good thing to have here!

While walking we found a shop that sells Italian food imports. Lots of goodies there! Also went to a bakery and bough fresh bread and cinnamon rolls.

There is a song we sing at Highland Park Christian Church. It is about God being Lord of the city. That is my prayer for Cairo, for my little part of Cairo known as Maadi. My friend Connie sent me a verse to remember and this is also my prayer: Colossians 4:5 and then 4:3,4 "Be wise in the way you act with people who are not believers, making the most of every opportunity. When you talk you should always be kind and pleasant, so you will be able to answer everyone in the way you should. vs. 3 also pray for us that God will give us the opportunity to tell people his message. Pray that we can preach the secret that God has made known about Christ."

2 comments:

Rejeana B said...

I wish I could put my feelings and thoughts on paper as well as you do, Kim. You and Sam are an inspiration and an encouragement to me. I treasure your friendship and love ya both!
rb2

Sean and Shey said...

Yay! I'm so excited that you're posting! I can't wait to hear more about your adventures! Have a great weekend at the coast!!!