Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Quilting

I know you have heard of Egyptian Cotton...probably priced it in the linen section of the department store or even Target. If so, you know that sheets have a wonderful soft feel to them due to the high thread count. When David went off to college, he got a set of sheets that were 250 thread count. Egyptian Cotton thread counts go up to 1000!   (So you know how comfortable HIS sheets are!) The CSA ( community center) offers a tour of the linen factory and I hope to go one day. It is a very popular tour...when I tried to sign up there were already 45 people on the waiting list~ I say, schedule a couple more tours and let these people off the list!  


Ok, so having heard of Egyptian cotton sheets and towels, one would expect to find GREAT cotton fabrics here in the land of Egyptian cotton! I have been to two fabric stores so far...they have beautiful laces;  they have gorgeous sheer fabrics--many adorned with sequins and beads. They have wool suiting and polyester! But they carry a very limited amount of cotton fabric and what they do have is solid colors, not print material.


I am finding that expat women are very friendly here. They are eager to help me find my niche. So as I get to know people and they discover my interests, they recommend someone they know with the same interest.  For example, I met a person, I hope I get to know better...her name is Lynn. She discovered I like to quilt. She told me she would introduce me to some ladies she knows who also quilt. Day before yesterday she called to give me the name of a quilter, said she had already spoken to her, and that Suzie would be expecting my call.  While talking to Suzie, she asked where I live so I told her building 16 on Road 213. She said, " oh, so you are in my building. Come on up and we can continue this conversation face to face." So I went up and we visited a long time. 


 Suzie confirmed my theory that Egyptian Cotton is mainly an export item. It can be found in the high end linen stores--just like at home!  Well, if that isn't disappointing enough...I did not bring much of the KING TUT brand thread that I like so well for quilting, because I expected to be able to find it here! NOT SO~  I am beginning to wonder what King Tut would be thinking about all this:  Superior's King Tut Quilting Thread is 100% EXTRA-Long Staple (ELS) Egyptian Cotton. Only a small percentage of Egyptian cotton is classified as Extra-Long Staple. This means the staple fibers are 10% longer than regular long staple cotton. That translates to LESS lint and MORE strength. 


Suzie invited me to the weekly quilters get together. Held in each other's homes, they meet for two hours and bring something to work on. Hand work. I guess, Michelle (Gill) I am going to take up some applique so I will have something to do~ha. Perhaps I will finally get the hang of it. I met 5 more ladies who went a long way in proving a point--quilters have fun when they get together!!  I miss our Monday night group a lot. However, Suzie reminds me of Michelle with her no nonsense way, her patience, her sense of humor, and her generosity!  Now if only she will take out and repair my mistakes!

1 comment:

Sheyennew said...

That is disappointing that there is not more fabric there! Did you have any trouble taking fabric with you in your luggage?