Tuesday, February 23, 2010

God's Timing

The end of January, Sam asked me if I would like to return to the US to spend some time with Sheyenne while she was still pregnant. Our plans were to return to California for Whitney's birth (due April 16th)-- and so, knowing I might just get back to Cairo from this trip and have to turn around and go again, the thought of spending some good times with Shey and Sean really appealed to me. Sam made reservations for me to leave February 10th.

Tuesday, Februrary 9th was a busy day; I attended the ladies Bible study that morning. We have been studying Esther with Beth Moore, and she had really challenged me two weeks prior with her comments about overcoming fear. This lesson was where Esther prepared not one banquet, but two for her king-husband and Haman. Haman was planning the demise of Esther's uncle, Mordecai, unbeknownst to all of them! So here is my conversation with my wise, dear sister in Christ, whose words keep coming back to me throughout this journey we are on with the loss of Whitney:

Karen: Wasn't that a wonderful lesson?  What did you get out of it?
Me: I wasn't as impressed with this lesson as I was with the last one. She (Beth Moore) really
spoke to overcoming my fears last week.
Silence
Me: This week...I guess I see that a person will hang himself on his own ambitions eventually.
Karen: stopping and turning toward me, she said incredulously,  " You didn't see that it's about God's timing!??" Then she  explained that Esther didn't make her request known
at the first banquet because the TIMING  wasn't right.  In God's TIME, Haman revealed his true colors, and the Jews were saved from  certain death! (And Haman DID hang himself-so to speak.)

Wednesday I was at the airport at 1:45am for my flight to LA via Frankfurt. About noon I was sitting in the airport lounge after clearing customs and checking in in LA, and I had just finished activating my telephone (God's timing) when Sam called me with the news that Sheyenne and Sean had been to the hosptial with preterm labor. 

 And Whitney's heart was no longer beating.

After hanging up with Sam, shaken, I looked around the lounge to see if anyone was reading their Bible. I needed to pray, but no words would come. I thought perhaps I could find someone to pray for me.  Seeing no-one, I opened my Bible to Esther and began rereading our lesson. "Please, Lord, give me something to hold on to here." I thought as I was reading.

I heard my name over the loud speaker, "Mrs. Kim Hampton, Please come to the front desk."  I gathered my things and walked toward the front desk wondering if my flight was delayed.  Karen's words flooded my mind as the tears began to fall on my cheeks. There stood Megan (God's Timing); Sam had called her and she had made it to LA from Phoenix for the same flight as me! I did not know she was coming! My prayer was answered as we found a quiet place and prayed and cried together. 

In God's timing, Megan and I were able to be present with Sheyenne and Sean when Whitney was born.

God knew my heart's desire was to be with them and to be able to hold little Whitney, so it should be no surprise that weeks before I needed to be there, though MY plan was different, God was at work, answering our prayers.
 God's timing is perfect. How thankful I am that Sam had the thought (now, whose idea was it really?)  to let me come home and spend some time with Sheyenne while she was still pregnant. I was in the right place at the right time, in His Time.  Praise the Lord!  He is good!  Amen. 


2 comments:

Sharron Hutchins said...

Bless you, my sister in Christ.

Momma Rouse said...

My prayers go out to you and your family. I have just now reconnected with you. I cannot believe you have grandbabies and live in Egypt! What a story you must have! I am looking forward to exploring your blog. Looks very interesting.