Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Sheyenne and Sean left yesterday after 10 days of non-stop sightseeing, shopping, eating great Egyptian food, and playing games in the evening.
I knew coming home to an empty house would be difficult. It was. So, to  bust the blues I decided to plan a few things this week. Today is Tuesday...hair cut day! I have included the photo to the right as my "before" photo; it was taken when we set out on our Nile Cruise Adventure. I included it because I want you to see that I did not look HORRIBLE, but it was time for a trim!
    Today is my first haircut in Egypt. The last several haircuts I got in Phoenix when I would travel there to visit Megan. I could not wait until August to have it cut again because this weekend Sam and I get to go to the Desert Ball. ( It is held at the Pyramids!) So, I called a place where my friend, Julie, got a great haircut...and they speak English.
    Several things were strange for me. First of all, I have not had my hair cut by a man since my nursing-school-girlfriend's boyfriend was going through beauty college.  Secondly, I have not had a man wash my hair before, nor have I seen so many men in a beauty salon! There was a man to sweep the hair up off the floor, one to get the tea for me, two shampooers, my hairdresser, Maroun, and a couple of men who just watched. There were a few women doing nails and working the front desk.
   M* is French and came to Egypt 7 years ago with a French hairstyle business. He was friendly and personable and talked to me about what I wanted for a haircut. Then, as he cut my hair he just dropped things on the floor and said to me, " I have a bad attitude, I just drop things so they will have something to do." and he glanced at the 'sweeper-guy' to indicate who he was talking about.
   M* is particular and gave great attention to my cut. He admitted to being a perfectionist to which I told him, I was fine with that. As he worked on my hair, the room felt like it was getting smaller. I was not wearing my glasses at this point, but I could tell there were a lot of people in the room. At one point, he asked me if I thought one side looked shorter than the other. I put on my glasses, and there were (I counted them) 9 people in the room--all looking at me and speaking french or arabic. "Yes," I replied, "I believe it is." I took off my glasses feeling REALLY self-conscious and as I wondered what was going on, M* told me, "They like your haircut. They tell me I work magic! I am not a magician, I told them...just perfectionist."    He called for another clean towel and gave the hairy one to the towel-guy.  Another guy steps forward to give my neck a quick brush off but M* took the brush from him and with vigor, swiped at the hair clinging to my neck. He said, " He's afraid of you. If he touch you, he will go to hell."  (Moslem religion forbids a man touching a woman who is not his wife.)  When he had finished spraying my hair I put my glasses on and looked in the mirror.  I could see all these people smiling at me. One gal, beautiful, says to me with a french accent, " zee next time, M* will cut my hair."  !!!
    It was all so strange. I did not think I looked THAT bad when I went in, and I don't think it is MAGIC that he worked...but it is a good haircut. I will probably go back but I won't be getting my eyebrows waxed there....too much pressure!
(M* remains anonymous  to protect me  from embarrassment should he find out I told this story!)

6 comments:

Laurie Rouse said...

Love your new look! So sophisticated!

Megan Johnson said...

I LOVE the haircut! And I can't wait to see photos of the ball. I was just thinking about those beautiful ballgowns a few days ago wondering when you would get to play princess :)

Anonymous said...

I love your new style it is you
Love you and miss you very much

anxiously hopeful said...

That is a great hair style for you! I love it! Maybe I'll have to take your picture to my hair stylist (since we like to have the same cut)!

brian jennings said...

Kim. This story is priceless. I laughed a lot. I bet Sam liked it so much that he ordered some "fried v..." Sometimes Beth drops things just so I'll have something to do too. ha ha.

Debby Sumpter said...

love the haircut. . . and the story